Government of the Russian Federation
R e s o l u t i o n No. 1040
of September 15, 1999
on Measures of Terrorism Control
In order to take urgent measures in regard to strengthening public security, protection of population from terrorism, securing solid protection of the highly important facilities located in the cities and other residential areas of the Russian Federation, the Government of the Russian Federation issues the following resolution:-
1. To the Federal executive bodies. Work out and approve during a 3 days” period of time the measures concerning securing the constant functioning of industrial, transport, communication, nuclear, fuel and energy complex, and food staff industry facilities.
2. To recommend the executive power bodies of the entities of the Russian Federation and of the bodies of local administrations of the big cities and other residential areas:-
to set up operational headquarters affiliated to the aforenamed bodies to take measures to protect the population, the high security facilities and the facilities related to provision of vital needs of the population from terrorism;
to elaborate and implement a complex of urgent measures concerning the improvement of security of the residential areas, places where people gather en masse, educational, health protection, culture and sports institutions. To envisage the provision of the necessary funds to meet these needs, including technical equipment reinforcement of attics and basements, setting of code-locked doors and internal communication devices in entryways, installation of emergency militia communication devices for the people to communicate in the places of crowd gathering and installation of surveillance devices;
to launch community education work aimed at improvement of organising skills and enhancement of watchfulness, enhancement of emergency situation behaviour skills, strengthening of interaction with the law enforcement agencies;
to improve control of the observation of rules of residential registration of persons and control of the use of the residential buildings premises for industrial, commercial and other purposes;
to envisage allocation of funds to increase the number of service sniffing dogs in the bodies of the interior, technical devices to detect and defuse explosive devices and substances;
to more actively draw in the community, private guarding agencies, security services and community organisations to assist the law enforcement agencies in preventive community work including guarding of apartment blocks and entryways, securing of public order observation in residential areas.
3. To mining and industrial control bodies of Russia and to the Ministry of the Interior of the Russian Federation together with the other federal executive bodies concerned. To make checks during a month period concerning inventory work and securing safe keeping of explosive materials used in the civil sector in institutions which produce, transport, store and use them.
If the said organisations do not comply with the laws of the Russian Federation, to take measures to cease their functioning according the rules established.
4. To the Ministry of the Interior of the Russian Federation, to the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation, to the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation, to the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, to the Federal Border Service of the Russian Federation, Federal Government Security Service of the Russian Federation, State Customs Committee of the Russian Federation, Federal Agency for Government Communication and Information of the President of the Russian Federation and Intelligence Service of the Russian Federation:-
to implement a complex of operational and search measures aimed at detection and suppression of terrorist groups including those having international ties, at prevention of entrance to the Russian territory of the members of foreign terrorist training centres, of illegal migration of foreign citizens;
to pay special attention to detection of organised criminal groups and communities, first of all those which have ethnical basis and deal in arms, ammunition and explosive devices;
to take measures to prevent illegal import of monetary funds, arms, ammunition, and communication means, including those proceeding from foreign states;
to take measures to enhance protection and security of facilities in atomic and energy complexes, in the enterprises which use in their production inflammable and explosion-prone materials and powerful poisonous and venomous substances, in other hazardous facilities as well as facilities pertaining to the bodies of the state government of the Russian Federation.
5. In order to co-ordinate the terrorism control activity of the Federal executive bodies and the executive bodies of the entities of the Russian Federation:-
to set up the Interagency Operational Headquarters;
to approve the enclosed personnel list of the Headquarters.
6. To provide to the Interagency Operational Headquarters the right to hear during its meetings the chiefs of the Federal executive bodies and the executive bodies of the entities of the Russian Federation making pronouncements on the issues of organisation of work on terrorism control.
7. To the Interagency Operational Headquarters. To set up a constantly operating interagency working group in order to provide the information support to the Interagency Operational Headquarters.
8. To assign the Ministry of the Interior of the Russian Federation with the provision of the organisational and technical support of the activity of the Interagency Operational Headquarters.
of the Government of the Russian Federation V. Putin